I haven't seen the movie In Bruges - but I heard that it was rubbish. I went to Bruges and it was fabulous.
I spent Thursday night at April's - so we could get up early and leave to make our 12:20 chunnel train. After getting April all packed and ready we all were asleep by midnight. I woke up at about 6:30. I opened my door and saw a little head poking out of Greg & April's bedroom. It was a very awake Megan (4 yrs old) - still in PJs. Her face lit up and she said "Becky Soldier - I have something very special for you." She went into her room and came out with a manila envelope. She came to the guest room door and said "Happy Birthday Becky Soldier. I made these just for you. Open it." I was delighted to find 2 pieces of paper - 2 colored penguins - made just for me by Megan. I gave her a cuddle and told her that I would see her after I got ready to go and that we were going to have a very good day. I closed the guest room door and gathered all of my shower things. I went into the en suite bathroom and got ready for my shower. Before I could climb into the shower the door opened and there was Megan: "Becky Soldier...my mom told me to tell you to be careful after your shower." She just kept standing there looking at me. "Megan, I am getting in the shower, can I talk to you after? I am naked." She did even flinch - just kept standing there. "Becky Soldier I have a very special thing to say to you." "Okay Megan, after my shower, please close the door." The door closed and I locked it and got into the shower. I heard the doorknob wiggle a couple times while I was in the shower. Then when I got out of the shower and tried to hurriedly get dressed. Megan was quite impatient to deliver her message. She is so cute - and apparently completely unphased (unlike some of us) by nakedness. Megan kept talking through the door every 30 seconds or so - asking when I would be ready and trying to get in. Finally I opened the door and she was right there - and so was Joseph - her 15 month old brother. Megan stood there looking at me and sang Happy Birthday To You with her dear English accent. I felt very special.
We got underway just after 8, and we did make it to the Chunnel in time to get a quick lunch before driving onto the train. The Burger King was out of so many things it was laughable. I was happy with my veggie panini from next door. We made it to the Bruges house April found (their usual spot was booked) by about 2 - so I guess 3 Belgium time. With little fuss and settling we were out and about in Bruges. The weather was so nice we decided to take a boat tour (we expected rain during the weekend). On the way we stopped at the best Belgian Chocolate shop - Pralinette - and got some truffles to enjoy on the boat. The boat was crowded (they all were) but it was a lovely ride. We picked an Italian restaurant for dinner. There was a gorgeous silver dog - I need to figure out the breed. I tripped on a hidden stair and got a nasty bruise on my inner left forearm (it is very purple today) - and that was before we even got seated. The pesto was fantastic - the service, not so much. The kids were super tired, so we took them home after dinner. On the walk home there was a great band playing in one of the squares - singing I Want To be Like You from Jungle Book - in Flemish - it was great.
Then after a short regroup - April and I went back out. We wanted to find a grocery store - and wanted to get me a birthday Belgian Waffle. :) I had strawberries with it and had a good flirt with the waffle maker. Good birthday times. After the waffle we still hadn't found a grocery store...we were directed to a shop where we were told we could find "anything" - and by anything they meant alcohol, other drinks and sweets. Well - we got water - but no real milk for the kids. But we met a group of 3 Americans who were in town for a month long Opera conference. One of them (a counter tenor with a bigger range than me) serenaded me on the street for my birthday. April took a video - I'll post it later.
It was a great 30th birthday! Even with the birthday suit incident - certainly that will make it memorable. :)
On Saturday I woke up - I shared a bed with Megan - not too early. It was raining hard. We stayed in our room for as long as Megan would. While everyone was getting ready for the day the rain stopped. We were so lucky with the weather. Saturday was mostly for wondering around and shopping - and a horse drawn carriage tour promised to Megan. In the morning my priority was to find an Optician - during the Chunnel ride Joseph was out of his car seat and got my glasses - there was a nose pad incident. So I had some pain going on with my upper nose/eye area. I found an optician - but it was closed being Saturday. But I did find a new handbag to buy - and I LOVE it. Check out the photo in the slide show. I think it will be great on my next traveling escapade.
After much delay (at least Megan though so) we finally got on our horse and buggy tour. It was 30 minutes and went all over Bruges. Some of the same commentary as the boat - but mostly it was just fun experiencing Megan's thrill - she even got to feed the horse. On the walk back to the main square there was a miracle - an open optician. I tried on glasses while they replaced my nose pads. :) We tried to eat dinner at a place called The Hobbit that came highly recommended by a colleague - but it didn't open until 6 and that is a little late for the kids - we were ready to eat by 5:30. So we ate a Pizza Hut - I know, it sounds like a cop out - but it was good.
After putting the kids to sleep April and I headed out again. Just some evening meandering - such nice weather. That night there was a big band with a dance floor set up for swing dancing in one of the main squares. So cool! There were 2 festivals going on during the weekend - it was a big party to go with my big birthday weekend!!
Sunday was mostly just walking. I did Megan's hair for the 2nd time - on the Saturday she got Koala ears - a specialty from my sisters' (Kathy & Rachel - my hair was never long enough) childhood. On Sunday I did twisted buns. I don't have many pictures of Sunday - I'll have to get some from April - along with that Opera serenade video and my birthday waffle shot.
We drove home and I got back to my house by about 7 - just in time to phone my parent's at the Portland Airport before they left to head my direction. They landed in Munich this morning. :) I'll meet up with them on Thursday in Venice. I am so excited - to see them, but also Germany, more Italy, Austria and the Czech Republic. I can't wait - even if it means another 3am departure from my house for the airport.
And - last night Top Gun was on Sky One - I got sucked in. It is just a good movie. :) One of my favorite movie quotes is "Maverick, take me to bed or lose me forever." I don't know why - it just is. Don't judge me.
I had a fantastic weekend and loved Bruges - I highly recommend it - even if the movie is dumb. Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes - I wish you could have been with me.



1 comment:
Happy (very belated) 30th birthday! It looks like it was fun :) Your travels look like so much fun! I love all of the pictures. It will be awhile before Jason and I venture too far, not until the kids get older. For now we enjoy west coast visits :) We'll have to have another Foulger reunion to all get together! Daniel & Genny were at our house on Sunday night and we talked about the possibilities--maybe even next summer. Of course we all love California, and Seattle will be a possibility (or Portland, or somewhere in between since your entire fam and Daniel/Genny won't live so far apart). I would add Utah or Idaho...but I don't think that would entice everyone into coming! We decided you'll have to have a conversation with Kate in an english accent. She LOVES the English cartoon Charlie & Lola and has picked up on some of the phrases, it's funny. Have fun on your trips--I'm so jealous of your Venice trip! I hope to spend some time touring Holland & Italy one day...and Australia. :)
Post a Comment