I suppose there will be a time when I stop counting how long I've been back in the US in weeks - and I suppose it will be soon. In some ways I am back into the swing of things and in some ways I just keep being surprised by things I am having a hard time leaving behind. For instance, my instinct is still to walk to the wrong side of the car - mostly just when I am leaving work to drive home. But I feel silly. Also - the grocery stores don't feel right. As much as I whined about supermarket layout in England - it has stuck with me. Also, as ridiculous as it sounds, everything seems really expensive. I guess I am not converting anything into pounds - because then it would feel cheap. But I'm not.
I love my new car. I'll have to repeat that as a mantra later in the month when the first bill comes. I love my new car. I really do. Very comfortable, easy (if not fun) to drive and just so darn cute.
I love my new haircut. I need to post a picture (but after 18 months of constantly snapping photos, I have become lazy). If you haven't seen it on facebook, it is about chin length and no longer streaked with blond - just basically my "real" color. I keep it super straight and think that it is super cute. Only once have I wished for a little more length - at spinning class on Tuesday. The hair won't make it into a pony tail - and barely makes tiny pig tails - which still result in hair touching my neck. Not my favorite feeling when I am dripping with sweat.
I love my iPhone. Oh my gosh. I love it! It is everything I need right at my finger tips. Fantastic.
And of course - I LOVE my dog. It is so nice having someone so happy when I get home. Pippin is kind of getting used to the backseat of the CRV. When I tried to introduce him to the cargo area he looked at me like we were not friends. He is at playcare today (http://www.doggonegoodplace.com). A very spoiled pup. I think that Rebecca's cat is handling the return of a dog into her domain rather well. She hardly even hisses at him anymore.
Rebecca (my roommate) and I have started going to the local rec center (Shute Park Aquatic & Recreation Center - the SHARC - if you had a place with that cool a name you'd go too). We've done water aerobics, spinning and used the gym and tonight we are trying out the stability ball class. Rebecca has reported 2 pounds of weight loss in each of the last 2 weeks. Fantastic. I haven't set foot on a scale - as mine is somewhere on the Atlantic (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it).
That brings up my stuff. Most specifically my clothes. I flew home with 2 bags and 2 big tupperware tubs - all weighing very close to the 50lbs limit. I couldn't ship any liquid or food, so anything that I wanted to bring home had to fit in my bags along with all the clothes and shoes I could fit. The rest of my stuff was packed up on Sept 5 - about 5 days before I flew home. On Sept 25 I got an email saying that my things were scheduled to set sail on the 29th. They are expected to arrive at the destination port on October 11th and then to clear customs on October 15th. I actually am not sure when that means they'll arrive at my door. No one has told me which port they are coming to. All I know is that I don't have nearly enough clothes. I don't know what I was thinking.
Honestly (and this is embarrassing) I haven't unpacked all the way yet - so I should say that I don't have nearly enough clothes that I actually want to wear. The weather is just changing in Portland - and getting wet and cold (which is what the weather was when I left Swindon) so hopefully the things that I liked to wear in Swindon 3 weeks ago will turn into clothes that I want to wear here. In the meantime there is Kohl's and Old Navy (at least so far).
I am going to endeavor to get all of my suitcases empty and put away this weekend (I usually get really productive on Conference Weekend) and get my things organized. I guess it is about time.
It will actually be a busy weekend. Tonight I have the aforementioned stability ball class, then a quick dinner and off to see Flash of Genius. Tomorrow morning will be kicked off with water aerobics, then a session of general conference and then lunch and some catch up with a friend in the afternoon followed by a 31st birthday party with bowling and pizza that night. Sunday will be 3 sessions of conference (the DVR is saving me from feeling too sad about missing Saturday afternoon) and I guess some house tidying. Plus a whole lot of rain for the weekend. The joys of autumn.
I still don't know who I am going to vote for. I need to sort out what I think from what lies I believe. I hate the media. I think both candidates bring some needed characteristics to the table, but I just can't get a solid idea on which I think will do a better job. I watched the VP debate last night - and thought that it was pretty even...mostly I was distracted by the lack of movement in Joe Biden's forehead. Major Botox. You could see his temples trying to squish up a completely unresponsive set of muscles. Plus - the man needs a haircut. But neither of those things would make him less of a VP (not that VPs do much).
If you have a strong opinion, bring it!! Try to convince me. Please.
No comments:
Post a Comment