Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Friend's Husband

I just found out that one of my close friends from my Folsom days (and since - she moved to Tacoma when I moved back home - we are still close :) ) had a weekend full of trauma. We spoke on Friday night. She is pregnant with her 2nd child, and she and husband and baby boy were spending Thanksgiving with her in-laws in Oregon City. She was hoping for a reunion - but I was in California basking in son and love at grandma's. Debbie and I had a great chat - and her world fell out from under her the next day:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/pilot_injured_in_ultralight_ai.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/35262894.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/pilot_injured_in_ultralight_ai.html

These all basically say the same thing - her husband Tony was in a plane crash on Saturday. By many miracles, he survived. He had a badly broken ankle (which has been repaired surgically) and much trauma to his face (those surgeries won't start for a couple of weeks - to allow swelling to go done and see what is really going on). They are at OSHU - he just got out of ICU yesterday. I hope that I'll get a chance to visit - but want to help in any way Debbie needs - even if that is space.

I have spent some time with Tony - while he and Debbie were dating - and since they married and while Debbie was pregnant. The last time I saw him was the weekend before I moved to England. We had reason to get together with 2 fabulous gals visiting from Folsom (well - one was mid-move to Minnesota). Debbie was very pregnant with Max - and Tony was so great with her and us. He is a goofball. He loves to fly. I remember one of the first times I met him he was thrilled about the 5-point harness newly installed in his truck. Apparently he installed something similar in his new plane and invested in a Chinese fighter pilot helmet - both contributing to the miracle that is his life. Tony's dream is to be a commercial pilot - I really think he'll achieve that dream. I just ache for Debbie.

Please keep Debbie and Tony in your prayers.

No comments: