On Sunday morning we didn't leave until about 7 or 7:30. The Tower of London doesn't open until 10, so there wasn't really any need to hurry. We went to Hounslow West again (this time directly there - no detours, even slight). Getting to Tower Hill means sitting on the Circle Line through 12 stops from where we transferred from the Picadilly line - a long, and often crowded trip. We got to Tower Hill by 9:40 and Rebecca got her first glimpses of the old fortress.
It is very very old, and jam packed with history. If you are interested I am sure there are lots of sites devoted to it...I'd start at Tower of London in Wikipedia. It is a must see if you come to London. After queuing to buy tickets, we stopped by the Paul (mom's favorite) to get a breakfast treat. (All the walking around really makes all the sweets free, right?)
The Tower houses the crown jewels - which is almost Disneyland like in their presentation. You walk through many turn styles that have video of Elizabeth II's coronation over and over again. Then when you get to the jewels, you get onto a human conveyor belt. You can walk around and get on again, but they want to keep people moving. It cracks me up.
Better than the jewels are the Yeoman Warders (aka Beefeaters). They are the Tower tour guides (and still a type of Royal Guard). They also live at the tower. They are a fun time. Our Beefeater was Dave.
His spiel was very similar to what I heard last summer (with mom and Kathy) but was not in the chapel (last summer we visited on a rainy day - and this time I went on a Sunday morning - so the chapel was out). They are pretty interactive, entertaining tour guides - telling us about how many times an axe must be wielded to sever a head. Lovely stuff. Unfortunately, we had a very obnoxious American woman in our group - Rebecca and I wanted to claim Canada as our motherland for the entire hour. Here are some tower pics:

We had a picture with a different Beefeater (there are 35) - I stood by him and he said "You're just my size" - you'll see - I am bigger than he. Nearly taller than his hat.
We finished at the tower by 12:30. It was a weird and hazy day. The Tower Bridge is right next to the Tower of London, but it seemed encased in a fog in all the pictures.
So we didn't daudle we just made our way to Knightsbridge to walk by Harrod's and get some lunch before church at 2:30. (If you haven't noticed, you have to build in a lot of travel time in London - there is a lot of standing on tube platforms waiting...and LOTS of walking). Since it was Sunday, Rebecca and I were both dressed for church. The biggest challenge was not warmth (although it was very cold) it was foot comfort. I almost went for the European tortured woman look in my 3 1/2" heeled boots - they really would have been a better look. But I opted for comfort instead of fashion and went with brown dansko maryjanes. Rebecca had less options. She ended up in my skirt and her black wedges...with a pair of my superflat black maryjanes in her purse - no support at all, but completely flat. She changed into the flats at church.
Harrod's is not just a department store - it is a big city block - several stories high. We didn't even step foot in, but Rebecca has walked past Harrods. The best part of Harrod's (of what I've seen) is the graphic design of the gift goods. I wish it wasn't Harrods. I really want some of the tins. But they are Harrods - so not cheap. :( For lunch we ate at a chain that Kathy and I found this summer - Leon. Kath and I loved it this summer. I got the same thing this time - a Sweet Potato Falafel Wrap. Unfortunately, they ran out of flat bread as I ordered, so I got the last wrap. I am sure that Trebbie was disappointed. If you are wondering about all of this falafel business - don't knock it till you try it. I love falafel. My first experience was last summer in the Marais (the Jewish quarter in Paris). I was really into tasting the foods each place was known for (how I ate Fish and Chips in England - the one and only time). Falafel is a good thing. I introduced (or maybe reminded) Rebecca - and she is hooked too.
The church building is in South Kensington - situated next to the Victoria & Albert Museum, and across from the National Science Museum and the Museum of Natural History. We just saw them from the outside. I have been in the V&A - it has a LOT to see. I like the gift shop. We made it past the museums and to church on time. It was my 2nd time in the Britannia Ward - and it is a pretty standard singles ward, just with a lot of accents. I think that 1/3 of the attendees are Australian, 1/3 American and the remaining 1/3 everything else (including British). It was good church.
After church we went back to Taza for dinner. Yummy again. It was our last thing in London. I hope Rebecca liked her time there.
On Monday Rebecca and I were sapped with fatigue. We slept in. Then I worked from home until after lunch. Then we went to Swindon Town Center. Town Center is a big pedestrianized outdoor mall. We went to H&M first. We were in heaven when we found the £5, £3 and £1 racks. I ended up spending £22.49 and got 2 pairs of slacks, 3 skirts, 2 shirts and hair accessories - that is $50, so cheap. Rebecca got a fabulous jacket (I am jealous) and more. After H&M we went to Poundland (where everything is £1) and a party store for stuff for the ward Trunk or Treat. Then we went to a chippery for Rebecca to try fish and chips. She liked it.
After our shopping excursion, we came home and watched Journeyman - this new show on NBC. Kind of like Quantum Leap - except without Ziggy and Al. You kind of figure it out with the character as the episodes progress. I really like it. Rebecca has recorded it for me - we watched 3 episodes. She is going to send me all the shows I watch on weekly DVD installments. :) What a good friend. You should all watch Journeyman. (and Men in Trees and Private Practice).
On a completely side note - this morning the clocks fell back an hour here in England. I totally missed it. It was Stake Conference today. 10am in Cheltenham, 45 minutes away. I was to ride up with Greg and April, so I got to their house by 9am. We got to the Stake Center at 9:45am - or so we thought. We were over 1 hour early. :( I got no benefit from the fall back. I hope you remember yours in America and sleep in accordingly (I think it is next weekend). Also, while typing this I was watching the fabulous Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Brilliant movie. Also while typing this, Mom, Dad, Kathy and Rachel are on their way to the Oregon Coast to look at a house near Tillamook that mom has fallen in love with. She really wants to buy it. Dad thinks she is crazy and has delusions of grandeur. But how great would that be? A beach house to visit. Fantastic.
It is also mom's 55th birthday. Send her a note. Dad turns 56 in 4 days. Then Rachel turns 26 a week from Tuesday. It is the busiest birthday time of year for the Foulger's. :) Happy Happy!!
Harrod's is not just a department store - it is a big city block - several stories high. We didn't even step foot in, but Rebecca has walked past Harrods. The best part of Harrod's (of what I've seen) is the graphic design of the gift goods. I wish it wasn't Harrods. I really want some of the tins. But they are Harrods - so not cheap. :( For lunch we ate at a chain that Kathy and I found this summer - Leon. Kath and I loved it this summer. I got the same thing this time - a Sweet Potato Falafel Wrap. Unfortunately, they ran out of flat bread as I ordered, so I got the last wrap. I am sure that Trebbie was disappointed. If you are wondering about all of this falafel business - don't knock it till you try it. I love falafel. My first experience was last summer in the Marais (the Jewish quarter in Paris). I was really into tasting the foods each place was known for (how I ate Fish and Chips in England - the one and only time). Falafel is a good thing. I introduced (or maybe reminded) Rebecca - and she is hooked too.
The church building is in South Kensington - situated next to the Victoria & Albert Museum, and across from the National Science Museum and the Museum of Natural History. We just saw them from the outside. I have been in the V&A - it has a LOT to see. I like the gift shop. We made it past the museums and to church on time. It was my 2nd time in the Britannia Ward - and it is a pretty standard singles ward, just with a lot of accents. I think that 1/3 of the attendees are Australian, 1/3 American and the remaining 1/3 everything else (including British). It was good church.
After church we went back to Taza for dinner. Yummy again. It was our last thing in London. I hope Rebecca liked her time there.
On Monday Rebecca and I were sapped with fatigue. We slept in. Then I worked from home until after lunch. Then we went to Swindon Town Center. Town Center is a big pedestrianized outdoor mall. We went to H&M first. We were in heaven when we found the £5, £3 and £1 racks. I ended up spending £22.49 and got 2 pairs of slacks, 3 skirts, 2 shirts and hair accessories - that is $50, so cheap. Rebecca got a fabulous jacket (I am jealous) and more. After H&M we went to Poundland (where everything is £1) and a party store for stuff for the ward Trunk or Treat. Then we went to a chippery for Rebecca to try fish and chips. She liked it.
After our shopping excursion, we came home and watched Journeyman - this new show on NBC. Kind of like Quantum Leap - except without Ziggy and Al. You kind of figure it out with the character as the episodes progress. I really like it. Rebecca has recorded it for me - we watched 3 episodes. She is going to send me all the shows I watch on weekly DVD installments. :) What a good friend. You should all watch Journeyman. (and Men in Trees and Private Practice).
On a completely side note - this morning the clocks fell back an hour here in England. I totally missed it. It was Stake Conference today. 10am in Cheltenham, 45 minutes away. I was to ride up with Greg and April, so I got to their house by 9am. We got to the Stake Center at 9:45am - or so we thought. We were over 1 hour early. :( I got no benefit from the fall back. I hope you remember yours in America and sleep in accordingly (I think it is next weekend). Also, while typing this I was watching the fabulous Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Brilliant movie. Also while typing this, Mom, Dad, Kathy and Rachel are on their way to the Oregon Coast to look at a house near Tillamook that mom has fallen in love with. She really wants to buy it. Dad thinks she is crazy and has delusions of grandeur. But how great would that be? A beach house to visit. Fantastic.
It is also mom's 55th birthday. Send her a note. Dad turns 56 in 4 days. Then Rachel turns 26 a week from Tuesday. It is the busiest birthday time of year for the Foulger's. :) Happy Happy!!
The next blog will have pictures from Bath and Bowood. And maybe a slide show in the right bar with a lot more pictures from the week.
1 comment:
Oh, hearing you talk about the Britannia Ward is making me homesick! That was my ward when I was there. Love all the pictures!!
Post a Comment