Thursday, November 1, 2007

Bowood - the conclusion of Rebecca's trip

Bowood is a stately home near Calne - about 40 or so minutes from my house. The house is still lived in by the 9th Marquess of Lansdowne. The front half of the house is open and has some very interesting displays about the last few generations of Shelborne's (the family's last name). The grounds are stunning, and we had a lovely couple of hours. I especially liked the tilted pillars in the manicured garden, a display all about a visit of the King and Queen, and walking to a hidden waterfall. Rebecca made me come help her explore a very very black cave - it was actually a pretty short passageway, but it was so so black. The folly (the greek temple) is really just the pillars. Bowood would be a perfect picnic spot. There is also a "soft play" area and a big kids only playground. It seems that all of the stately homes have them - so lots of kids go with there parents and don't even go to the house. I guess it is a good strategy to pay for the upkeep of the old home.

Look at the gorgeous pictures.



After Bowood we took the long way home and drove to Stonehenge so Trebs could see it. It is very different from Avebury, and very cool.

That night we went up to April's and played UNO and Five Crowns with some ladies from my ward - April, Gresha and Theresa. I think a fun time was had by all.

Thursday night we had kebabs in pita from Sammy's - a takeaway kebab place that April recommended. It is on the complete opposite side of Swindon from my house. oh well. The pitas were huge, but really yummy. So I guess I don't have to go all the way to Taza in London next time I want kebab. After kebabs we went and saw Stardust with a few friends. Great movie - highly recommended.

Rebecca stayed up late packing and watching The Greatest Moments special for Vicar of Dibley. Good times. On Friday we drove to the airport and said goodbye - 30 hours later she was home.

I had a few days to plan for Halloween. I'll post a Trunk or Treat synopsis soon - I am still just catching my breath. My car got serviced today. I spent over 500 pounds. Ouch. 2 new tires (spelled tyres here), a new cam belt, a new headlight bulb, oil change, and 2 hours of very expensive labor. Ouch. Maybe I'll cut back on driving so I don't have to service it again before I go - although it would be way way less.

I am off to walk with Gresha and April - more walking. I walked from the garage to work and back today because of my car - plus a walk to Town Center at lunch. It is good - now I just need to break up with food again. You all know the drill.

Happy Birthday to dad today!!

No comments: