“Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.”
Not just a quote from V for Vendetta. It is a holiday in the UK. Fireworks & bonfires (for burning Guy Fawkes) for 4 or 5 days. It has been an experience. I went to some friends' house and almost got hit by a roman candle. Then later in the evening a bottle rocket fell over and was aimed straight for us - we all ran to the side of the house - but it was stopped by one of the base forming (not a good base, obviously) bricks. It was a fun night with British kids. My favorite line was this little nervous 4 year old girl standing next to me. Her dad was setting off the fireworks. Once he was back with the spectators, the dad whispered to the girl to come over by him (he wanted to experience her joy and awe with her). I said "Katie, I think your dad wants you to stand next to him." Her response was "I think he'll be alright" - like her dad was scared and she'd protect him. It made me laugh. So dramatic.
The fireworks were super expensive - I didn't buy any. I am hoping that last night (actually being the 5th) was the last night of the bangs...they started about last Thursday...we'll see tonight if they keep going.
No comments:
Post a Comment