So - how I got home: I did stay up all night on Thursday. I found my way to the long term parking at Heathrow and fumbled my way with my 2 50lb bags to the bus stop. I called the bus (it doesn't run regularly at 3am) and I called mom and dad while I waited. I got to the terminal, and there was a big queue...and a sign that said the ticket counters wouldn't open until 4:30am. I had 90 minutes to stand with my luggage and try to stay awake. That was not so fun. Once I did get checked in it was with a surprise that I didn't have a confirmed seat. I have no idea how that happened - I booked my flight in August. So I'd have a middle seat from Frankfurt to Portland. Ugh. I got through security and called Lufthansa to make sure that I'd have a confirmed seat on my return flight. The Heathrow to Frankfurt flight was basically unremarkable. About the time that they handed out the snack (a dense roll with butter and cheese) the pilot came on to inform us that we'd be in a holding pattern for 45 minutes before we could land. Suddenly I was worried about making my connection - and for good reason. We landed and taxied forever, then had a "bus arrival" (vs. a gate arrival) and got bussed to the front of the terminal. I had to run for the A concourse - that I could read on the German signs. I was directed down stairs, up stairs, all over the place. Finally I got to a monorail "station" - but the train wasn't going anywhere. It was still for 20 minutes - past the time that my flight was supposed to take off. I was sure that I was due for a very lengthy layover (Lufthansa only has 1 flight per day to Portland). There were a bunch of Intel guys that were flying to Portland from Tel Aviv - one of them told me the last time he was in Frankfurt he was stuck for 18 hours. Mean man. He also had called a colleague who made it on the monorail before us - apparently the A concourse was having a security issue, and no one was being allowed in. Remarkably - there was not one announcement (not even in German) explaining the situation. It was horrible. Finally the tram moved - and we got off to find a huge queue for security. I took an Ambien and silently prayed that the plane was still there. The security people did a final call for Portland and I barely made it. I no longer cared if I had a middle seat - I just wanted to get on that plane. Apparently the stress + an Ambien were the perfect combination. I got on the plane, blew up my neck pillow, put on my eye mask and was out for the count - even before take off. I woke up once to pee, but really have no recollection of what was going on then. Then I woke up at the end of the 3rd movie. I thought we might be taxiing. Weird. I probably got 7 hours of sleep. Not bad. Mom was at IKEA when I landed. It was great to see her drive up in the Prius. We stopped by dad's office on the way home to pick up Kathy's car (she flew out to Houston about 5 minutes before I landed). I drove her car home without incident. I was surprised at how smelly Portland seemed - first the jet fuel at PDX, then the petrol/diesel fumes on the freeways.
I got to pick up Pippin (and Pulsar - Christy was busy for the weekend) at playcare, and he was very excited to see me. But he was completely worn out from playcare. Mom, dad and I had a quick dinner at the soup place (it was chef Randy's birthday) and then ran home to get ready for the ward Christmas party. It was a Back to Bethlehem production - and I do mean production. Here is a picture of me and mom, and then dad and the rest of the bishopric as the wise men.

On Saturday I had lunch with some close friends (Brian, Rebecca, Robin and Jennifer). We ate at Manzana - one of my favorite restaurants. Jenn took this picture of us outside afterwards. That is the first picture of my new coat, and the last picture of my old hair.
During the week up to Christmas I finished shopping, got a fabulous manicure & pedicure with the fabulous Martha, got my eyebrows cleaned up, got my hair whacked, ate at all my favorite restaurants, saw 2 movies (National Treasure:Book of Secrets & PS I Love You) and played with my dog and friends.Christmas morning brought a few surprises. The first was that I woke up with broken blood vessels in my left eye. They were just obvious from the side - but if you look close, you'll see some redness in some of the other pictures. Who knows why it happens? My dad gets them sometimes, but this was a first for me. It took a week for the bloodiness to fade.
The second surprise was snow. :) We had a White-ish Christmas. It was just enough snow to be pretty. Pippin LOVED it. The snow really gets him wound up. This picture was at the very beginning of the snow - we ended up with a nice white carpet.
Christmas at the Foulger house was relatively free of drama - which was nice. Mom had a heyday at the Columbia employee store - so all of us are loaded up with warm and sporty clothes. I have been bundled up for the last 2 days - enjoying the new clothes. Yesterday I was chatting with mom on skype - we had the following exchange:Becky: Right now I am sitting with over-the-knee socks, fleece pajama bottoms, the titanium shirt with thumb holes, and the down vest -- and I have my rice sock warmed up and on my lap. Outside is 44 degrees F, not too bad, but inside is less than 60 still and the kitchen is way colder than that.
Mom: Are you warm with all that on?
Becky: I'm not cold anymore, but I wouldn't say that I am warm yet.
So the warm clothes were a great gift. I guess that I have been really whiny about the cold - since that is what everyone has prepared me for.
After Christmas, the days just seemed to blur into each other. Kathy and I planned a birthday party for Rebecca - it was her 30th. After a sketchy start (everyone was late except Dale), it was super fun. Kathy made a pub quiz and then we had an evening full of Wii and Guitar Hero. I had never played Wii until this trip home (Rachel got one for her birthday). I had Wii elbow for a few days. Fun. I also had never played Guitar Hero. For some reason the physical focus of the Wii and the awesome music making of Guitar Hero elevate them above the video games I see as completely a waste of time. They were fun. Here is a picture of some of the fun from the evening:
Friday was mostly for packing and a family dinner. Then suddenly it was time to go back to the airport. I was able to sleep again on the Portland to Frankfurt flight - but somehow that hasn't reduced the jet lag. I just want to sleep in the day and be up at night. Today is the day I will break it. I am determined.Here is one last picture - I realized that I didn't have one showing my new haircut very well, so I just took this (notice the green Columbia tee and the fleece vest also a la Columbia). I cut off nearly 6 inches in the back, less then that in the front, and darkened it up a bit. I am hoping the grow out won't be too bad.

I have a couple other pictures I need to edit a bit to post - of me and pip and of the whole family (with both dogs).
Now that I am back I need to plan my next trip away. I think that I'll get into London sometime this month for church. I am hoping for a trip somewhere in Europe in February. I'll keep you posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment