Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Think Good Thoughts - I made an offer on a car

Tonight I drove a car that I made an offer on. We'll see if they accept tomorrow. The car is a 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 TDi Ghia 5dr. Yes, a mouthful. It is silver and gets ~50 mpg. It's diesel. It has about as many miles as the 2001 Jetta I just sold - but it's a diesel, so it still have many many miles left to go. Its sporty, but practical - cheap insurance and road tax. Well, hopefully cheap insurance - I hope I don't get dinged for just moving here and still having a US license. If so that will just spurr me to get a UK license sooner...I have all the paperwork, but I have to go buy a book with all the laws. I'll have to take both writen and driving tests...I've heard it's v. difficult. :( But I am supposed to get one once I've been here a year. And if it saves me money, than I'll definitely do it. But in the meantime I'll just grit my teeth and pay more if necessary.

Here are some pictures of the car - don't let it mislead you, it has lots of room in the boot for luggae and the back seat is bigger than the Jetta (that's not hard). I hope it's mine by the weekend.Isn't the right-side drive a trip? Let me tell you. The trickiest part of driving over here isn't being on the wrong side of the road - it is being on the wrong side of the car...especially when getting in the car. My left knee is all black and blue.
-becky

2 comments:

Charis said...

Nice car. The Focus is nice, one of my co-workers (from the UK) bought one when he came here and loved it.

I was talking to a co-worker (who lived in the UK) she recommended Driving lessons. She said they are very strick in the UK like you have to have your hands at 10 & 2 at all times (even when turning, they expect you to shuffle our hands, very odd).

But Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you.

- Charis

Al and Jenny said...

Hey Becky!!! It's Jenny Tanner (Shaw) Remember me?? Thanks for sending me a link to your blog. I think it is so cool that you are living in England. I am excited to read about all of your adventures. Good luck with the car!!! I hope you get it!