Sunday, February 10, 2008

Extra Syllable

Finally I reencountered the word that the British add a syllable to - the past tense of the verb orient. They say orientated. Don't they know that oriented is a proper word? I actually heard it tonight on a show where some crazy men were going scuba diving under the ice of a frozen lake. "The cold and blackness make you disorientated." Good to know. Suddenly it sounds much less sensible a thing to do.

I am sure there are other words they do the same thing to, but this is the one that I hear around the office. Not just weird pronunciation - like aluminium - but an actual extra syllable.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

so funny! i remember watching "Nigela Bites" one day on food network & when she said aluminium it took me a minute to realize what she was talking about!!