Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Preparing for Lent, Brits eat pancakes

Today is Shrove Tuesday (Fat Tuesday in America)– which is basically the day after Shrove Monday and the day before Ash Wednesday. Lent starts on Ash Wednesday. So today is Pancake Day in Britain (and apparently some other countries like Canada – see Wikipedia: Pancake Day). Today is the day to get rid of all of the tempting things in your house that you are giving up for Lent and the Brits decide a good way to do that is to make pancakes (more like French crêpes actually) and load them up with the sinful sweets and have a night of eat, drink & be merry – and of course – watching football. On my way back from the supermarket tonight where I bought groceries and diesel (it was a traumatic 10 minutes at the pump praying that I made the right choice, checking and double checking again and again. Suddenly I am really missing the lack of self service gas pumping in Oregon. I don’t think I appreciated it until now.) there were millions of pedestrians. I realized that they were walking to the stadium – and now I know why. :)

I don’t really do the whole Lent thing. I didn't feel like pancakes tonight... Sometimes in past years I have thrown in with giving up chocolate with a few friends. This year I think I’ll just focus on eating well – sometimes I just need chocolate. :)

By the way – I just posted a few pictures onto my earlier blog – have a look for laughs. No lectures on taking photos while driving – I was being towed. :) (Apparently tonight I have to end all paragraphs with a smiley.) :)

1 comment:

Charis said...

Pancake day, I told everyone today was Fat Tuesday and the first thing out of the Brits mouth was... hey lets eat pancakes.

If your Goal is to eat healthy, Lent is a great time to start. Like the Priest said in church on Sunday, "do something that betters your life and the lives of others." And personally giving up Chocolate never helped anyone (well at least me).